It’s All Gravy with National School Lunch Week!
This week is National School Lunch Week!
For NSLW 2017, we are featuring recipes from our 2017 Meals Plus Customer Cookbook. This cookbook will feature 40+ delicious school meal recipes submitted by Meals Plus Customers, and school lunch recipes using USDA Foods. The cookbook will be available to download for everyone this Fall.
Today’s featured recipe is Country-style Steak with Rice, submitted by Union County Public Schools (NC).
1 lb. + 13 3/4 oz. – rice, long grain, brown, dry
1/4 bag – gravy mix, brown
4 oz. – wheat flour, whole grain
1/2 tbsp. – spices, salt, table
1/2 tbsp. – spices, pepper, black
11 oz.- onions, fresh
4lbs. + 8 oz. (raw wgt., yield included) – beef, ground, 85/15 raw – to cook & drain, USDA
Directions: CCP: Wash Hands; CCP: Sanitize work area
- Cook rice per instructions on recipe card B-3.
- For steak: Combine flour, salt, and pepper.
- Combine about 1/2 of the seasoned flour with onions and ground beef in mixer bowl. Mix for 2 minutes on low speed.
- Portion with a #12 scoop, on a sheet pan. Once you have laid out patties, cover with parchment paper and place a sheet pan on top of the parchment paper and then flatten the patties.
IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE A PETITE HAMBURGER STEAK, NOT A MEATBALL. Place a small thumbprint in the middle of the patty to help with puffing.
- Sprinkle remaining seasoned flour evenly over meat, about 1/2 cup per pan. Pat into meat.
- Bake at 300° F for 10 minutes. CCP: Heat to 155° F or higher for at least 15 Seconds.
- Transfer steaks, browned side up, into steamtable pans (12″x20″x2 1/2″). For 50 servings, use 1 steamtable pan. For 100 servings, use 2 steamtable pans.
- Prepare gravy mix per instructions on bag.
- Pour gravy over steaks, approximately 2 qt. per pan. Cover pans.
- Bake at 300° F for 10 minutes. CCP: Hold at 140° F or higher.
- Serve 1 steak with gravy and 1/2 cup rice.
Nutrients per serving:
Calories – 343
Chol (mg) – 41
Sodium (mg) – 432
Fiber (gm) – 2.20
Iron (mg) – 3.23
Calc (mg) – 2.87
Vit A (IU) – 0.0
Vit C (mg) – 0.9
Protein (gm) – 17.74
Carb (gm) – 43.61
Tot Fat (gm) – 12.29
Sat Fat (gm) – 3.19
Sugars (gm) – 0.0
Trans Fat (gm) – 1.59