Let’s Taco ‘Bout National School Lunch Week!
This week is National School Lunch Week!
To celebrate NSLW 2015, we are sharing recipes from our upcoming Meals Plus Customer Cookbook. This cookbook features over 50 delicious school meal recipes and is a compilation of recipes from Meals Plus Customers and school meal recipes using USDA Foods. And best of all – every Meals Plus Customer receives one free copy! Additional copies will be available for sale. Our first featured recipe is Turkey Taco Salad with Tortilla Scoops and was submitted by Charleston County School District (SC).
Turkey Taco Salad with Tortilla Scoops
4-1/2 oz. potatoes, sweet, fresh
15-1/2 oz. beans, pinto; fancy canned in brine, 6/#10
1 lb. + 8 oz. turkey, ground 90/10 raw frozen local ingredients
1 tsp. ground oregano, dried
1 tbsp. spice, chili powder, mild season
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt, table, iodized
15-1/2 oz. petite diced tomatoes
8 pouches of corn chips, tortilla, baked, bowl-shaped SS scoop
- Rinse, peel and grate sweet potato.
- In a colander, drain pinto beans.
- Coat a large skillet with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat over medium high heat.
- Add turkey and brown for 8-10 minutes. CCP: Cook to a minimum internal temperature of 165°F for at least 15 seconds.
- Add grated sweet potato, pinto beans, canned tomatoes, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and black pepper.
- Stir well. CCP: Heat to 155°F for at least 15 seconds.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook until, about 20 minutes.
- Portion 4 oz. of cooked meat mixture to each tray. Serve with 1 bag of tortilla scoops, shredded romaine and cheddar cheese topping. CCP: Hold for hot service at 135°F or higher.
Nutrients per serving:
Calories – 312.074
Chol. (mg) – 91.123*
Sodium (mg) – 643.678
Fiber (gm) – 643.678
Iron (mg) – 3.563
Calc. (mg) – 79.424*
Vit. A (IU) – 3811.161*
Vit. C (mg) – 9.830*
Protein (gm) – 18.863
Carb (gm) – 34.785
Tot. Fat (gm) – 10.336
Sat. Fat (gm) – 2.278*
Sugars (gm) – 1.846
Trans. Fat (gm) – 0.000*
Stay tuned to our blog this week for more school meal recipes and click here for the School Nutrition Association’s NSLW 2015 Toolkit, which is filled with handouts, tips to celebrate NSLW and a photo contest!